Calligraphy

An amazing way to preserve thought throughout time and communicate today's issues for all to see tomorrow. What you write today may be studied 1,000 years from now for not only its content but how you communicated it.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Part two for completing this birthday card

I took this letter from the bible of illuminated letters, then traced it, flipped it over than traced it again.  Finally retracing it onto the card where I wanted it.  You'll notice in a earlier photo I had filled it in using color pencils to determine the color scheme in advance. Afer painting it in the rest of the way I cut it out.  Then used it as a raised letter on the front of the card.

Here's the completed card.
You'll notice a little more spacing in the middle as there's where the crease was.  I don't have a bone knife to create an actual crease so I used a metal ruler and some elbow grease.

   
Notice on the left hand side I use Uncial hand lettering and it's a total of 7 nib widths, 2 nib widths for the ascenders, 3 nib widths for main lettering, 2 nib widths for the descenders.  I did this inorder to stay consistent through out the piece. Some books recommend 4 nib widths for the main lettering but I found Maryanne Grebensteins book to be the most informative and accurate.

I freehanded the capitol S a few times on a seperate piece in order to get it just right.

You'll notice everything is laid out and pre measured then transferred those measurements over. Even each boarder is 3/4" with the poles being centered.


I used Reeves Gouache(pronounced gwahsh) beginners paint to do this. Each month I order a few more supplies, right now I'm still taking books out regularly from the library and utilizing the interlibrary loans to get what the library doesn't have.


No comments:

Post a Comment